Come join us in Jaffa to teach and tutor children in one of Israel’s most distinct and diverse areas. It’s our aim to address the problems of the community by providing a variety of extra-curricularEnglish lessons and fun activities to children living in Jaffa who don’t have access to such programs. The main purpose of our volunteers is to expose children to English as an understanding of the language can create a positive change throughout the course of their lives.
The project takes place in different primary schools throughout Jaffa, an area that unfortunately suffers from poor facilities and infrastructure. As a volunteer you’ll work with between one and three children,ages nine to twelve. Like all children, you’ll find that they vary in skill level as well as cooperativeness.
You should expect to work about 3 hours each day in the afternoon, Sunday through Thursday. Volunteers meet briefly at the start and end of the day to discuss the material and which techniques are best to use. A typical day consists of an opening group activity to introduce new material and breaking into smaller groups to review the material. Volunteers will fill in short reports on each child to record their overall progress.
- Venture through Tel Aviv – Yafo and explore all that this wonderful city has to offer: the Old Train Station (Tachana), Nachalat Binyamin Artists Market, Shuk ha Carmel (Carmel Market), Tel Aviv Port (Hanamal), Florentine, the Jaffa Flea Market and the seemingly endless Mediterranean beaches. Between all of the art museums, shopping places, nightlife scene, dancing and cultural events, you’ll definitely find your niche.
- During your time off, travel around to see Israel’s other incredible destinations such as: the Red Sea in Eilat, Mount Masada, the Dead Sea, EinGedi, the Arava and Negev deserts, Jerusalem, Haifa’s Baha’i Gardens and the Golan Heights.
- Meet Israeli locals and other like-minded volunteers from around the world on this unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime adventure!
6 - 10 weeks
- Ages 20– 70
- English fluency
- Academic background (preferred)
- Teaching or tutoring experience (preferred)
- Ability to adjust to new cultures and environments
Project Fees Include
- Pre-Departure Kit
- Health insurance
- Orientation in Jerusalem (including walking tour of the Old City and Machane Yehuda Market as well as discount card to better experience the exciting nightlife)
- Dorm-style accommodation at the Overstay TLV hostel
- Basic breakfast and fully-equipped kitchen available for your use
- Local staff, 24 hour emergency support and 24/7 reception and help desk
- Access to hostel amenities: safety boxes and lockers (bring own lock), outdoor garden area with pool, projector and sound system, rooftop lounge with couches and bar, free Wi-Fi, access to hostel’s bikes (for rent) and laundry machines (about US$7/load)
For information and to apply visit our Israel - Educational Volunteering in Jaffa page.