Come along to Vietnam and provide humanitarian aid, education and community assistance inthe bustling Ho Chi Minh City. As Vietnam’s largest city, Ho Chi Minh City brings a large amount of tourists each year. A stroll through the city’s streets will reveal the diverse architecture that exhibits the stylistic influences of China and Europe.
This week will provide volunteers with a past to present rundown to assist them in gaining a basic understanding of the area. Activities during Cultural Week will include:
- Classes in cooking, culture and language
- Visits to many of the city’s various iconic sights and attractions including: Notre-Dame Basilica, a traditional Vietnamese water puppet show, the Opera House, Pho Hung market, Reunification Palace, City Hall and the War Remnant Museum
- An embroidery workshop to learn about traditional Vietnamese techniques with which you’ll use to create your own jewelry
- A day trip to the nearby Cu Chi tunnels (prominent during the war in the 70s)
There are a number of different project areas with which you may be involved during your stay. These include:
Street Children's Orphanage –Help teach English at a variety of levels. You could also work to help the construction and renovation efforts of the orphanage depending on its needs during your stay. You may help paint and decorate the interior and exterior of the building or even construct an outdoor bathroom. Help with making craftssuch as necklaces, bracelets, pendants and other jewelry that the orphanage sells in the local market.
Disabled Children’s Home –This home cares for 12 disabled Vietnamese children whose families are unable to afford the means to support them. One of our main focuses is to better their muscular capacity and speech. You’ll alsosocialize, play games and make arts and crafts with the children.
Ho Chi Minh Hospital –As this government hospital lacks resources and has a limited budget, your work will play a dynamic role in continuing the regions development and will be greatly appreciated. You’ll assist in some nursing which could consist of comforting the patients and administering their medication. You can also help out with construction and renovations at the hospital.
Campus Life Assistance – You’ll first be paired with a student who will remain your “buddy” for the duration of your stay. Take advantage of the opportunity to interact with Vietnamese college students. Help out in their classes; assisting teachers, partaking in cooking classes and participating in various hospitality role-playing exercises. Your work is sure to improve the students’ English skills and build upon their understanding of other cultures.
On Fridays volunteers will visit projects at the street children orphanage, disabled children’s home or the hospital. We’ll finish off the week by loosening up with a Karaoke bash!
- Partake in cultural tours provided by the project in and around Ho Chi Minh City.
- Explore the land even further by visiting places such as Ha Long Bay, Hoi An village and My Son sanctuary.
- Meet Vietnamese locals and other like-minded international volunteers on this once-in-a-lifetime unforgettable opportunity!
2 - 8 weeks
- Ages17 - 70
- Good English
- Ability to work in a hot and humid environment
- Immunizations (consult with your doctor)
- Travel and medical insurance
- Enthusiasm to submerge oneself in new cultures and to work with children
Project Fees Include
- Pre-Departure Kit
- Airport transfers on day of arrival (Sunday)
- Full room and board (shared roomson a college campus and 3 meals daily)
- Wi-Fi in the accommodations
- Orientation and all required training upon arrival
- Cultural Week (includes classes, trips, tours and other fun activities)
- Local staff and 24 hour emergency support
For more information and to apply visit our Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh Community Involvement and Support page.