Join us and become a part of the laid-back and friendly community of Moshi in Northern Tanzania just at the foot of the monumental Kilimanjaro! With up to ten other international volunteers you will teach English to children, teachers and other community leaders, encourage and support women’s empowerment and work alongside HIV/AIDS organizations to help raise awareness of HIV/AIDS.
Volunteers will sing, dance, play and help the children to develop their creative skills through the mediums of drawing, coloring and painting. You will help with the schools’ general maintenance to provide a pleasant learning environment for its students.
You will work among our many different projects. Current projects include but are not limited to working with the nursery and primary schools, after-school clubs and Kiwakukki which is a HIV/AIDS group which originally was established to support women in the community who suffered from HIV/AIDS.
Though itineraries can differ from program to program, on a typical day, participants can expect to get up in the morning and after breakfast head to one of the local nursery schools to begin teaching a themed class. In the afternoon, after lunch, you will participate in a variety of different projects; teaching support for English and IT, assisting in various awareness raising campaigns and organizing activities for youth groups. After your day of volunteering you will have some time to relax and socialize before getting together with your team to share the day’s events over dinner.
On Friday mornings you can expect to prepare for the next week’s lessons or be occupied with a broad range of community projects. You may work on maintenance for the schools, plant trees or visit and assist in other communities nearby.
Saturdays and Sundays are all yours. Feel free to rest from your long week or partake in some of the many things the surrounding areas have to offer.
- Living at the foot of Africa’s tallest mountain you will truly impact the lives of the children and other members of the community in Moshi, Tanzania through teaching English and HIV/AIDS awareness
- Make friends (from a distance!) with lions, giraffe, elephants and zebras and explore! Moshi is within just a few hours drive from well-known and sensational spots such as the Ngorogoro Crater, Serengeti National Park, Lake Manyara, Zanzibar, the Tanzanite mines, Tarangire and of course just a climb from the peak of the Kilimanjaro!
- Meet locals and like-minded volunteers from across the globe on this once in a lifetime endeavor!
Min 2 weeks - Max 8 weeks
- Ages 18 - 70
- Good English
- TEFL certification or previous teaching experience is helpful but not required
- Immunizations, full travel and medical insurance
- Police clearance form
Program Fees Include
- Room and board (shared accommodation at the program base and 3 meals daily)
- Pre-Departure Kit
- Airport Transfers on dates of arrival and departure
- Orientation and required training upon arrival
- Local staff and 24 hour emergency support
For more information and to apply visit our Tanzania: Kilimanjaro Teaching and Community Involvement page.