Come join us in Hartebeespoort, South Africa (near Johannesburg) and gain a multi-faceted, one-of-a-kind volunteer experience contributing to both the local community as well as maintaining the gorgeous wildlife that the African bush has to offer.
This program is especially distinct among others because of the varied volunteer opportunities in which you will participate. The two main objectives of the project are increasing the quality of life for the area’s wildlife and working with the community’s safe-house for at-risk youth who have been victims of domesticviolence and other abuse.
Participants are required to work between five and six hours daily and will rotate through the different projects that the program has to offer all within a 25km radius of your accommodations. Projects include volunteering at the Elephant Reserve, Monkey Sanctuary, Wild Birds Project (where you will work with vultures, owls, eagles among other African wild birds), Game Reserve Project and of course the Community Project at the safe house.
- Live in the spectacular mountainous landscape that lies between the Magaliesberg Mountains and the Hartebeespoort Dam executing maintenance and research of wildlife as well as community and youth outreach.
- Explore! Visit nearby Johannesburg, the well-known windmill restaurant, the many wildlife reserves and sanctuaries, go tubing in the dam or even take the Aerial Cableway or a balloon ride safari above the mountains.
- Meet locals and like-minded volunteers from across the globe on this once in a lifetime, matchless endeavor!
4 – 12 weeks
- Ages 18 - 80
- Basic English
- Good physical fitness
- Positive attitude
Project Fees Include
- Room and board (shared accommodation at the volunteer house and 3 meals daily)
- Travel and Health Insurance with volunteer abroad coverage
- Pre-Departure Kit
- Airport Transfers on dates of arrival and departure
- Orientation and required training upon arrival
- Local staff and 24 hour emergency support
- Weekly social events and other activities coordinated for the program
For more information and to apply visit our South Africa: Ultimate Wildlife and Social Volunteer Experience page.