Familiarize yourself with rural China and experience the traditional ways of the stunningly charming community of Fengyan, a small village located in South China’s Guangxi province. Though they are very hardworking, the people of Fengyan are typically poor and make a living off of farming. You’ll be sure to make a true impact here through much needed humanitarian aid and education.
During the first week on the project our volunteers take part in a week of cultural immersion. You’ll learn firsthand about Chinese food, the language, ancient calligraphy and paper crafts and take in the glorious scenery on our tours of local sites.
You will receive your work schedule during the first week on the project. There are a number of volunteer options available to our participants:
Help with the Farming Harvest – From November through the end of January you can provide aid to the local farmers. Assist in the fruit harvest; select, pick, peel and pack the fruit in order to prepare it for sale at the market.
Teach English to Children – At the primary schools you’ll teach conversational English to the students between 1 and 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. The number of weeks in which you’ll volunteer is up to you though we recommend staying in the project for at least a month. You will also need to account for time to create lesson plans. In your first week you will go over the preparation and teaching skills that will be necessary as well as learning how to manage with minimal resources.
Work at the English Summer Camp – From mid-July through September you can help facilitate the English Summer Camp where the local children can learn and further practice the English language.
Provide Assistance at the Kindergarten – Volunteer work at the kindergarten consists of teaching younger children ages 4 and 5 for about 10 hours each week. The kindergarten is located in the center of Fengyan at Lian Hua and most of the children come from poor villages around the area. It’s important to emphasize enjoyment and fun rather than working from an official curriculum.
2 – 8 weeks
- Submerge yourself into a distinctly unique culture where you can truly impact the lives of the people who live there.
- Meet locals and like-minded international volunteers on this incredible once-in-a-lifetime endeavor!
- Ages 17 - 55
- Good English
- Immunizations (consult with your doctor)
Project Fees Include
- Pre-Departure Kit
- Travel and medical insurance
- Airport transfers included on day of arrival (Sunday)
- Room and board (shared accommodation at volunteer center and 3 meals daily)
- Orientation and all required training upon arrival
- Local staff and 24 hour emergency support
- Internet and laundry
- Cultural Immersion Week (includes lessons on Chinese culture, traditions, customs and language)
For more information and to apply visit our China: Community Aid and Teaching in Fengyan page.