Gain valuable experience in veterinary care at an animal shelter which aims to rescue, rehabilitate, and find homes for lost, abandoned, and abused dogs and cats! The pro-life, non-profit shelter acts as an unofficial pound by emotionally and physically caring for the animals in need until a safe and loving home is found for each and every animal.
This shelter has established the only functioning veterinary clinic in the area that provides care to animals in disadvantaged communities. They have both an on-site clinic for nearby neighborhoods as well as a mobile clinic to provide their services to a wider range of communities throughout the region. These clinics provide primary care to the animals such as vaccinations, sterilization, de-worming, and parasite control, as well as community outreach initiatives to educate the public on moral and ethical treatment of animals.
The attention and care you are able to give the animals at the shelter substantially improves these animals’ qualities of life, contributes to their rehabilitation progress, and allows them to be adopted into a loving home. You will have the opportunity to make an impact by:
- Feeding, grooming, walking, and socializing the animals
- Bottle-feeding kittens and puppies
- Assisting veterinarians with clinical operations in either the on-site clinic or mobile clinic
- Spreading awareness in local communities on how to responsibly care for animals
- Gain valuable experience in Veterinary care working alongside professionals and learning from them every day!
- Accommodations are provided to volunteers in a comfortable volunteer house throughout their stay
- Three meals a day are provided while on the program
- Airport transfers are included upon arrival and departure
- Meet locals and like-minded volunteers from around the world on this opportunity of a lifetime!
- Minimum age 17 years old
- Compassion for animals
- Interest in veterinary science a plus
- Ability to work well in groups
For more information and to apply visit our South Africa: Animal Rescue and Veterinary Shelter page.