Come explore Pez Maya, home to a conservation site aimed at protecting the local coastal marine species and their coral reef homes, while also studying their populations. The researchers here devote time and energy to preserving this area of the Mesoamerican Reef located along the 2 mile stretch of Pez Maya coastline. The long term goals of the conservation are to keep this segment unspoiled and unharmed by the increasing development seen in neighboring areas such as Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
This project aims to introduce and familiarize its volunteers with the biodiversity of this unique ecosystem. Volunteers will be immersed in the natural surroundings of Pez Maya and get the opportunity to explore the region while contributing to the valuable research being pursued at the conservation site. They will learn the importance of natural conservation and eco friendly living, and will be given the opportunity to reach out into the local communities to spread awareness.
Your time at the project will be divided into two segments:
The first three weeks are devoted to training. During this period you will be learning both in the water (about 1 dive per day) as well as in a classroom setting. Your daily schedule will include:
- PADI open water certification (for those not certified already)
- Data collection techniques (both underwater and on land)
- Studying the local species
Following training, you will enter the monitoring phase of your volunteering. This includes:
- 1 or 2 dives a day including data collection underwater on the fish and coral status
- Beach cleans
- Bird transects
- Cooking and daily chores
- Rinsing equipment, filling tanks
- Attending lectures
- Community outreach in environmental education
- Accommodations are provided during your stay
- 3 meals a day are provided
- Training is provided upon arrival (PADI open water certification provided for participants staying for 8 weeks or longer)
- Work alongside professionals in the field
- Meet locals and like-minded volunteers from around the world on this opportunity of a lifetime!
- Minimum age 18 years old
- 4 week volunteers must be PADI open water certified upon arrival
- Good physical fitness
- Willing to work hard
- Must work well in groups
For more information and to apply visit our Mexico: Diving for Marine Conservation page.