Join this project and provide children with an outlet to channel their energy, and have the opportunity to become role models and friends to the children you coach. Instill self-confidence while teaching these children the value of life skills such as teamwork, active living, and setting goals, values which will help them to succeed in all aspects of their lives.
This project aims to enthuse and encourage kids in the struggling neighborhoods of Cape Flats to stay off the streets and engage in fun, beneficial physical activity. Sports are a fantastic tool to keep kids out of trouble and focused on a healthy form of energy release.
Physical education: recently, physical education has been removed from children's school curriculum in South Africa. Because of this there has been a decrease in the amount of activity children get each day. With this project, you will assist the physical education teacher and be responsible for any of the following:
- Create innovative lesson plans and games
- Play and coach popular sports such as soccer and netball
- Design fitness tests and drills to improve and track physical fitness levels
- Share any of your own personal skills or passions in the area with the coach and students
After school coaching: become a mentor and friend to these children while providing them with after school activities to keep them off the street. With this program you will:
- Assist a coach in leading drills and warm-ups in different sports
- Referee soccer, cricket, field hockey, or basketball games
Volunteers may choose to split up their days into a combination of the above sports development projects and any other of the following initiatives in Cape Flats: orphan care, teaching, dance, and healthcare.
- Accommodations in a fully furnished, comfortable volunteer house are provided
- 3 meals a day are provided
- Airport transfers provided upon arrival and departure
- Inspire kids daily and have fun!
- Meet locals and like-minded volunteers from around the world on this adventure of a lifetime!
- Minimum age 17
- Ability to work well with others
- Passion for physical activity
- Police Background Check
For more information and to apply visit our South Africa: Cape Town Physical Education and Sports page.